From Brittany as their coat of arms indicates (azure with 3 silver disks and an ermine tip on top) the Vanssay family arrive in the Maine , in Vancé, around the 9th century. In 1404 the mansion de la Barre by marriage enters the Vanssay family. The castle takes its name from it being a place of justice and toll.
Marin de Vanssay has it extended and fortified in the 16th century . A wing is rebuilt in the 17th century and redecorated in the 18th century.
At the Revolution, the castle stays in the family. In the 19th century the Vanssays follow Napoleon in Russia. The Earl de Vanssay becomes private secretary to the Earl de Chambord, the last legitimate pretender to the throne of France.
The Château de la Barre undergoes a part restoration thus ending centuries of architectural modifications.
Therefore you are coming into a residence that has been kept and loved, its history and family intertwined for centuries.
Open: 1 april
Closed: 15 november
XVIIIe century furniture, fabrics by Rubelli/ Pierre Frey... Excellent quality bedding and recently redone bathrooms overlooking the garden, the park and valley, the rooms have appeared in numerous decoration books.
- 2 bedrooms, 270 € (2013 rate)
- 3 suites, 330 € to 500 €
Breakfast : breakfast: 18 €
Table d'hotes : dinner Grand Siècle 120 €/ pers. All inclusive. Simple dinner 60 € wines not included
The Cottage: this charming little mansion modified in the 16th century is located in the fortified enclosure near the castle and above a big vaulted cellar. Two high quality gîtes, with independent entrance are available to rent for a week or weekend.
- Glycines (Wisterias): 2 people- on the ground floor it has a big room / living room, king size bed with freestone fireplace and exposed beams. Fully equipped kitchen, bathroom with big tub and shower, independent toilet, linen and firewood provided.
Rate: 440 €/week (water and electricity included). End of stay cleaning: 45 €
- Lilas (Lilac): 4-5 people- 1st/2nd floor. It has a living room with 2 single beds, freestone fireplace and exposed beams.. Equipped kitchen, bathroom with sauna , shower and toilet.
Upstairs: Big bedroom with king size bed and single sofa bed, quadruple aspect and exposed beams. Balneo bathroom, independent toilet, linen and firewood provided.
Rate: 650 €/week (water and electricity included). End of stay cleaning: 75 €
- 3 bedrooms
: Toutes saisons
- Per week : 440 € - 650 €
- Nearby city: Conflans-sur-Anille (0.5 km)
- Nearby city: Saint-Calais (4 km)
- Distance from Paris: from 60 to 120 miles
- Nearby airport: Tours (70 km)
- Nearby station: Villiers Vendome TGV (25 km)